It was Inverleith ( the league leaders ) who visited Rubislaw at the weekend in the final match of the women’s National League for this year. Win or lose the game made no difference to GCW we would finish 8th either way and play in the bottom six in the second half of the season from February. So it was a “free hit” as they say to play with little or no pressure.

The game started as it went on with two sides having a go at each other in what was a right ding dung battle. It was the “ladies in Black” who took the lead from a penalty corner the injection did not go to the spot intended but Jen Smith adjusted to shoot. The shot was not perfect but forced the keeper to save and the rebound was swept home by Sara Duthie for an early lead. Inverleith came back with a penalty corner of their won which again was misdirected but somehow the confusion spread to the GCW defence and a slow shot found it’s way home for the equaliser.

Into the second period and another Inverleith corner, another misdirected injection and a poor sweep confused everyone to find its way home to allow the visitors to go in at Half time leading 2-1.

After a “contentious” half time talk GCW came out firing and an Inverlieth attack was broken down and when Lisa Clyne picked up the ball she struck a perfect straight ball to Sara Duthie on the opposition 25 yard line. Sara drew the final defender and crossed for Allan Willox to first time sweep the ball home, 2-2 now! Who could edge ahead.

Inverleith scored next from a third corner misplaced and somehow finding its way home for the lead 3-2. GCW however were also not finished. Connie Hatfiled raided along the back line of the inverleith defence and played a ball across for Jen Smith to fire home and the game was now 3-3.

Was there to be a winner ? Well yes and this time Inverlieth scored a fine finish from open play. A ball from defence was intercepted n midfield and the Inverleith player drove to the top of the circle and drove a fierce shot into the left hand corner of the GCW goal. No further goals but a fiercely competitive match which entertained the crowd if it dd not give the result the home side sought.

No games now outdoor for the girls until March so they head indoor for their next National League dates on Sunday 5th March in Dundee.